Thursday, March 6, 2008

Ciao

Today I feel like writing about Italy.
They like motorcycles in Italy:


They also like wine, as do I. Basically, Italy was amazing. Tonight, I think I'm going to write about Florence. I went to Florence about a year ago on a school sponsored trip, and discovered Florence was the most breathtaking place. It was truly like breathing in a painting.

It was a drizzling lightly when we got to Florence, so we all pulled out our umbrellas and walked through the winding alleys of the city. The whole city smelled like cigarettes and leather; Florence is famous for its leather craftsmen (artisans?). The alleys were criss-crossed with cobblestone and motorcycles are parked sporadically. The women were all wearing pashminas, as soft as clouds, with thick leather jackets and the men (oh, Italian men) were just as beautiful.

We went to lunch at a small restaurant and drank red wine and had some fantastic pizza. We joked with the waiter, and he politely laughed off our terrible attempts at ordering in Italian.

After finishing our meal, we went to a leather store, and, since I was a little tipsy, I rationalized spending a hundred euros on a beautiful leather purse.

Then we saw 'The David' by Michelangelo. Seeing 'The David' was one the most awe-spiring moments of my life. Firstly, the statue is giant. Its simple mass is breathtaking, and the detail is magnificant. Michelangelo completed 'The David' in only two years, and it got me to thinking of what I could accomplish in two years. I realized that art is a true experience.

After we left the exhibit, we walked out into the sudden sunshine, and people watched in the square. Florence is truly the Mecca of beautiful, young people. There were so many simply gorgeous men and women in the city. Walking along the river and breathing in the moment, laughing with my friends, and taking pictures truly captured the experience.

I saw so much in Florence, and I know I missed just as much. I can't wait to go back.

3 comments:

Amelia said...

you blog so much now. it's cute. =)

Kate said...

Blogging is excellent as a tool of procrastination.

Amelia said...

=D

yeah...and i keep getting more stupid comments on my blog. it'd be nice to get it advertised so i can have some more productive people reading it =P